Monday, February 4, 2008

The Farmer's Market Through the Eyes of a 6 year old

This weekend, I kept my niece (21 months) and nephew (6 years) so that my sister and brother-in-law could go play on the slopes. We decided to go to the farmer's market and had a great time. It's amazing how different everything looks when seen through a 6 year old's eyes.

Sean was amazed by everything and wanted to know about everything - beets, cauliflower, spinach, oranges, "bunny" carrots (those would be carrots with the green still attached). We had so much fun exploring. He could barely get one "what is that?" out before the next one popped in his mouth.

Two of the more intriguing things we found were cauliflower - I know, who thought cauliflower could be that interesting. But sure enough, there were two unusual cauliflower specimens on hand.


This is Romanesco cauliflower. We were told by the farmer that it is a cross between broccoli and cauliflower. Makes sense. All I know is that it is really cool looking. You almost hate to cut into it. I took the farmer's advice and steamed it whole and then had it with a little soy sauce. Yummy and picturesque.







The other unusual cauliflower was purple. Not quite as exotic as the Romanesco, but still interesting. Now, before you start believing that my nephew ate any of these exotic finds, let me set the record straight. He did not. He did eat the "bunny" carrots, but that's it. He wouldn't even eat the ginger snap cookies I bought from Texas French Bread.
Ah well, baby steps.... We still had a lot of fun.