My apologies for being blog delinquent the last few weeks. I spent the better part of a week in Florida for work and visiting my Aunt and Uncle. You'll be happy to know that I still managed to make it to a farm stand during my visit. My aunt made these great sweet whole wheat biscuits that we smothered in strawberries. Yum! Don't worry I'll post the recipe.
This past weekend was special at the Downtown Austin Farmers Market because it was also the Earth Day celebration. In addition to the farm stands, there were booths from different eco-minded vendors. I was delighted to see Amanda from The Purple Fig Cleaning Coop selling her earth friendly cleaning supplies (Sandy bought some).
As for the produce booths, things are really kicking in to full swing. There was tons of amazing produce to pick from and, after a week on the road, I was thrilled to spend the weekend cooking and eating veggies. And I was sooooo happy that the dairy vendor, Buttercup Dairy, is back at the market. I missed their milk, yogurt and cheese. Seriously, you'll never want to buy store bought milk again. And, of course, we visited the hummus dealer, I mean vendor, to restock.
I had too many catch up chores to do to get too fancy with my cooking this weekend, but I did make what I considered to be an outstanding asparagus and spring onion frittata (recipe below.) I love making frittatas on Sunday morning. None of the pressure of trying to flip an omelette - what if it tears? - but all the yummy goodness while you sip your morning coffee, listen to news shows and read the New York Times online. And yes, you now know my sacred Sunday morning routine. Typically followed by a long workout to deal with any fatty elements from the fritatta. I know I could just eat oatmeal and maybe skip the long workout, but what's the fun in that?
Asparagus & Spring Onion Frittata
This serves two or one very hungry person. You can increase the quantities to serve more and you can substitute any vegetables or cheese you want. Frittatas are very forgiving that way.
Olive oil
1 bunch of asparagus, chopped
1 small bunch of spring onions, chopped with some, but not all of the green - you can chop the greens and freeze or dry them for chives if you don't want to waste that part
1 clove of garlic
3 eggs beaten with a little bit of milk - in our family, we add milk to the scrambled eggs because it makes them fluffier. You can skip this if you want.
Sliced mozzarella
Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat the broiler.
On the stove, heat the skillet to medium and add about a tablespoon of olive oil. Saute the onion, garlic and asparagus until just tender. Add the eggs to the skillet and using a spatula, distribute the rest of the ingredients around the eggs (basically scoot things around so there is an even distribution of asparagus and onions in the two servings. You don't want to get accused of being the asparagus hog.). Add salt and pepper to taste.
Let the eggs sit without stirring them further until you can see the eggs starting to cook through; only the top of the frittata should still be runny.
Add the cheese to the top of the frittata and then place the skillet under the broiler to finish cooking the top - a couple of minutes. Keep a careful eye on it so you don't burn the top of the frittata.
This frittata is particularly good with Rosemary Ciabatta bread from Texas French Bread.
