The Downtown Austin farmers market was bustling this morning. There were tomatoes, peaches and at least five different types of melons. It was a melon extravaganza. It was hard to pass up anything because it all looked so good.
I however, was on a mission. I have been craving a burger lately, but I have a triathlon next week so I'm also very conscious of what I'm eating right now. It's amazing what having to race will do to your willingness to put something bad in your body.
So, this morning I decided to compromise and make a portobello mushroom burger. I've made these many times, but I was looking for a new twist and I found it on www.epicurious.com (of course). They had a mushroom burger with a pesto, but the twist is that the pesto contains dijon. It was delicious!
I've also been craving some leafy greens so I cooked up some swiss chard. Again, I was going to stick to my standard (sauteed with garlic in olive oil), but decided to check Epicurious first and, again, it did not disappoint. I found a swiss chard with chick peas. I love chick peas and am always looking for a new way to cook them. The chard and the chick peas were great, particularly with the tomato and lemon mixed in. Those Armenians, the culture epicurious credits the recipe to, know a thing or two about their swiss chard.
Portobello Mushroom Burgers with Basil-Mustard Sauce
Bon Appetit, July 1995
Brushed with garlic oil, grilled over the fire and stacked onto crusty buns with plenty of burger trimmings, portobellos are this season's snazziest alternative sandwich filling.
Servings: Serves 6.
1 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup shopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 1/2 cups mesquite wood chips, soaked in cold water 1 hour (optional)
6 4- to 5-inch-diameter portobello mushrooms, stems removed
6 3 1/2- to 4-inch-diameter whole-grain hamburger buns, split
6 large romaine lettuce leaves6 large tomato slices
Mix first 4 ingredients in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Whisk olive oil and garlic in another small bowl.
Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). When coals turn white, drain chips, if using, and scatter over coals. When wood chips begin to smoke, brush mushroom caps on both sides with garlic oil.
Season with salt and pepper. Grill mushrooms until tender and golden brown, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to platter; cover with foil to keep warm. Grill cut side of hamburger buns until light golden, about 2 minutes.
Place bottom half of hamburger bun on each plate. Top each with 1 mushroom, then 1 lettuce leaf and 1 tomato slice. Spoon some basil-mustard sauce over tomato and top with bun. Pass remaining basil-mustard sauce separately.
Chick-Peas and Swiss Chard
Gourmet, September 1999
Pairing chick-peas and Swiss chard is nothing new—Armenians have been doing it for generations. But with great tomatoes and a squeeze of lemon, this quick vegetable stew is as fresh as summer. If you can’t find Swiss chard, spinach is an authentic substitute.
Serves 2.
Active time: 20 min. Start to finish: 20 min.
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil1 small tomato, cut into
1/4-inch dice
1 cup rinsed canned chick-peas
1/2 pound Swiss chard, stems discarded and leaves coarsely chopped
1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Cook onion and garlic in oil in a large nonstick skillet over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened. Add tomato and chick-peas and cook, stirring, 5 minutes. Add Swiss chard and cook, covered, until wilted, about 2 minutes. Add lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
