I should never buy an entire watermelon unless I am taking it to someone else's house. They just always look so good. And, cold watermelon is so refreshing. And, it’s been so hot. I've got to learn to walk away, but I just couldn’t.
Two watermelons ago, I gave half to my neighbors. This time, I not only bought a watermelon, I also bought a canary melon. Clearly, I have lost my mind.
After staring at the melons for a few days, putting off cutting them open so I didn’t have to make a decision about what to do with them, I found a solution – sorbet. It would keep for a long period of time and, unlike most desserts, I like sorbet.
Never having made sorbet, I started doing some research and immediately ran into a road block. I don’t have an ice cream freezer. Hmmm… I knew someone in Twitterland would know what to do, and sure enough, I had an answer in 3 minutes. Thanks @Eilenbug.
You can make sorbet without a freezer using the scrape and process method. You freeze the sorbet in long trays, scrape it out, put it back in the food processor to give it volume and refreeze it. You repeat this process a couple of times until you get the texture you want. It’s not a speedy process, but it does work well.
The experiment ended with several delicious tubs of watermelon and canary melon sorbet. I think I found my new standard for what to do with the other half of that melon I just can’t resist.
Simple Syrup
1 cup sugar1 cup water
Place the sugar and water in a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Cool syrup to room temperature. Use immediately or refrigerate indefinitely in a covered container until needed.
Watermelon Sorbet
from Bon Appetit
8 cups cubed (1 inch) watermelon, seeds and rind discarded
1 cup simple syrup
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Puree the watermelon cubes in a food processor. Measure 4 cups of the puree and place in a bowl. Add the Simple Sugar Syrup and lemon juice and stir well. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
If you don't have an ice cream maker, you can place the sorbet in a long pan to harden, remove and reprocess in the food processor and then refreeze. Repeat the process until you get the texture you desire.
Watermelon Sorbet
from Bon Appetit
8 cups cubed (1 inch) watermelon, seeds and rind discarded
1 cup simple syrup
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Puree the watermelon cubes in a food processor. Measure 4 cups of the puree and place in a bowl. Add the Simple Sugar Syrup and lemon juice and stir well. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
If you don't have an ice cream maker, you can place the sorbet in a long pan to harden, remove and reprocess in the food processor and then refreeze. Repeat the process until you get the texture you desire.
Adapted from a recipe in Gourmet magazine
1 canary melon, seeded and rind removed
1 cup simple syrup
1/4 cup packed fresh mint leaves
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Cut melon into 1/2-inch cubes to measure 2 1/2 cups. In a blender puree all ingredients until smooth. Chill puree, covered, until cold, at least 1 hour, and up to 6. Freeze puree in an ice-cream maker. Transfer sorbet to an airtight container and put in freezer to harden.
If you don't have an ice cream maker, you can place the sorbet in a long pan to harden, remove and reprocess in the food processor and then refreeze. Repeat the process until you get the texture you desire.
