Thursday, October 29, 2009

Get Your Gobble On: Order Your Local Thanksgiving Turkey Today

Thanksgiving is just four weeks away! This year, I will be celebrating Turkey day in Las Vegas with my family and am trying not to think about the buffet lunch and what it will look like. If you will be feasting at home, it's time to think Turkey.

I have found two options for buying a fresh, local, humanely raised turkey for your Thanksgiving meal. (If you know of others, please share.)

The first is Alexander Family Farm, just outside of Austin. They offer natural pastured Heritage and Broad Breasted White turkeys available for Thanksgiving. To order your turkey, email Kim Alexander at alexanderfamilyfarm@yahoo.com or call 512-247-4455. If found this interesting video, a documentary course project by Keeley Stenson, about the farm if you want to learn more about them and how they raise their poultry.

You can also order a fresh, local bird from Greenling, the organic delivery service. Greenling is getting their turkeys from Richardson Farms, a regular vendor at the Downtown, Triangle and Sunset Valley Farmers Markets. When I think of Richardson Farms, I always think of their pork and beef products and was delighted to learn that they also raise pastured poultry. If you haven't tried the Richardson products, I highly recommend them.

The local turkeys are going fast, so place your order today to make sure you aren't thawing a Butterball on Thanksgiving!