The Great Eggplant Invasion of 2010 continues at my house with my two eggplants producing like gangbusters. Fortunately, my friends answered my cries for help with innovative recipes because I really don't think I can stomach much more ratatouille.
Stephanie McClenny, the canning genius behind Confituras, truly piqued my interest when she forwarded me an eggplant enchilada recipe from one of the Moosewood cookbooks. I prefer veggie enchiladas, but had never considered using eggplant as the key ingredient.
I was surprised how flavorful the enchiladas were. The nuts added a layer of richness I wasn't expecting and the eggplant served as a perfect "meat" for the enchilada. I'm so glad I let Stephanie nudge me to this new discovery. Yum!
1 tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups diced eggplant, diced
4 sweet peppers, chopped (if you'd rather use hot peppers, feel free to mix it up - I added a few serranos)
2 tsps cumin
2 tsps salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup grated Monterrey Jack Cheese + a handful of cheese to sprinkle on top of the enchiladas
12 corn tortillas
1 can green enchilada sauce (you can make your own sauce, but I was in a hurry and being lazy so I used canned sauce - it happens)
Heat olive oil in a skillet. Add the eggplant, peppers and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes until the eggplant is partially tender. Add the cumin, salt and pepper, stirring well to coat the eggplant and cook for another 5 minutes or until the eggplant is almost soft.
Add the pecans cook for a few minutes, adjusting the seasoning as needed. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the cheese.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Wrap the tortillas in a damp napkin and put in the microwave for 15-20 seconds to moisten them so they don't crack as you roll the tortillas. Place a few large spoonfuls of the filling in the center of each tortilla, roll the tortilla gently and place it in a baking dish.
When you have rolled all of the tortillas, pour the sauce over the top and sprinkle with the remaining Jack cheese. Bake for 30 minutes, uncovered.
