I discovered a few things a long the way. At first, I was mildly panicky about having enough time to cook at home during a busy month. I quickly stepped back and reminded myself that I didn't need to make elaborate meals, I just needed to make something healthy to eat. This mindset gave me permission to do simple stir fries or vegetables with pasta. I also ate a lot of salads and sandwiches - not fancy, but satisfying and unprocessed.
On those days when I didn't have time to cook at all, I explored some of the healthy take-away options around town. I've used Central Market and Whole Foods for healthy take out meals for years, but I also discovered a growing number of outlets for healthy meals to go like Snap Kitchen, My Fit Foods and Mel's Meals. My lunch of bison quinoa hash from Snap Kitchen was packed with flavor and nutrients while keeping the calorie count to a dull roar.
Most importantly, my month of reading labels carefully taught me that even seemingly innocuous looking products can contain ingredients you weren't expecting. (Can someone please tell me what PGPR is in a Hershey's plain milk chocolate bar and why it needs to be there?) Maybe all those things aren't bad for you, but if I don't know what it is do I really want to be eating it? I don't think so.
My hope is to keep this new found awareness front and center in my daily life. I'll probably still have Fritos on occasion, but it will be the exception, not the rule. After all, if I can make it through a Halloween party surrounded by chips and salsa, I can do anything!
Thanks to Andrew wilder of Eating Rules for the inspiration and the encouragement. I'm looking forward to continuing my less processed life.
