| Hot Bison Borscht |
I cannot tell you why I wanted borscht. To my knowledge, I'd never had borscht. But I got these big, beautiful beets from Farmhouse Delivery and, suddenly, all I could think of was borscht. I've learned to just give in to these unexplained fixations; it really is the only way to make them go away.
After studying up, I discovered borscht can be served hot or cold, depending on the region of origin, and can have meat or be vegetarian. I picked a hot beef borscht recipe from Bon Appetit, but substituted a few ingredients for what I had on hand - turnips for the potatoes and bison short ribs instead of the beef. Don't be scared off by making the stock - you can substitute store bought beef broth and add some browned stew meat to the soup.
| Bison Short Ribs for the stock |
The end result is worth the effort a hearty, rich, slightly sweet soup that is deeply satisfying. I'm so glad I made enough for 10 people so I have plenty in the freezer.
It's chilly outside - what soup are you cuddling up with?
