Wednesday, December 7, 2011

My Year of Beer Culminates with Eat Drink Local Week Local Brew Fest

I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but at some point this year I started paying significantly more attention to beer.  Maybe it's because my brother-in-law opened a brewery, Twisted X, or that our entire family planned a trip to Denver for the Great American Beer Festival to see the brewery's debut on the national stage.

Twisted X Lager
Twisted X Lager
Or, it could have been when I was interviewing local craft brewers for my article in the Winter edition of Edible Austin.  They charmed my socks off with their stories of how they work together to brew better beer.

Quite possibly it was during the Oskar Blues field trip to their hops farm outside of Denver.  With the Rocky Mountains in the background and a fantastic farm-to-table brunch spread out in front of us, it was hard to not fall in love with their beer and Dale's mother who is affectionately called "Ya Ya."

DSCF6120
Oskar Blues Farm in Colorado
However the transformation started, I have found myself paying attention to the taps when I go out and ordering a pint more often.  What better way to celebrate my new found love of the suds than to help coordinate Edible Austin's Eat Drink Local Week Local Brew Fest this Saturday, December 10th at Black Star Co-op from 1:00-5:00 pm.

2010 Edible Austin Eat Drink Local Week Brew Fest

Photo by Dustin Meyer, www.dustinmeyer.com
Seventeen Texas breweries will be offering two ounce samples of their beer, sake, cider and kombucha while Wheatsville Co-op and selected food vendors serve up nibbles including local cheeses and Red Rabbit donuts.  This morning I heard a rumor of crock pot goat curry from Windy Hill Farms. Yum!  Proceeds from the $20 tickets benefit the Sustainable Food Center and Urban Roots.

I'm so excited about this event that I'm giving away two tickets.  To enter, comment on this post with the name of your favorite Texas craft brew before Friday, December 9th at noon.  I'll pick a random winner from the comments.

See you at Local Brew Fest!

P.S.   This event drew a big crowd last year.  Buy your tickets online by Friday night to avoid the line at check in.  Also, parking is somewhat limited at the venue so please car pool if you can.

And the winner is: Deathwish Dena!  Edible Austin is adding you and a guest to the Will Call list.  I'll e-mail you with the details and to get your full name.