Sunday, January 20, 2008

Easy Saturday Lunch/ Portobella Caprese Sandwich

Some Saturdays, I cannot wait to get home from the market so I can make something fresh for lunch. The first Saturday in December was one of those days. It was unusually warm and I wanted a taste of summer. I decided to do a twist on a normal caprese sandwich and add a grilled portabella cap.

A few things to note - I don't really measure things when I cook for myself. Sorry. I'm trying to get better at this for your sake, but no promises on this front. If you need clarification, just ask and I'll do my best.

Place a portabella cap in a shallow dish or on a plate and drizzle olive oil on both sides. Place the cap gill side up and drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Season with salt, pepper and a little thyme if you have it. I usually let it sit for a bit to let the vinegar, spices and oil soak in some.

Grill or broil the mushroom cap. Start gill side up so the oil and vinegar have a chance to cook in. Flip the cap once while cooking until you reach desired tenderness.

Prepare the sandwich with really good bread (I used an honfleur baguette from Texas French bread - Yum!), a slice of good mozzarella, very fresh tomato and a couple of basil leaves. Slice up your mushroom cap and add it to the sandwich.

Enjoy!