I had a brief visit this week to the farmers market because I had an open water swim practice for the Danskin triathlon. (And yes, I did very well in my practice swim!) Even though I wasn't there long, I had plenty of time to buy great produce for the week because there was LOTS to choose from.
If you've been waiting for the summer growing season to kick in so you had more selection at the market - wait no more. Summer is in full swing and there is a bounty of produce to prove it. I'm out of town most of this week and I had to work hard not to over buy. It was really tough because I wanted one of everything.
I was most excited about was okra! I love okra. I'm one of those freaky people who will eat it steamed; I don't care if it is slimy. Stew it, fry it, saute it, steam it, I'll eat it just about any way you can cook it.
And then I saw the corn. Decision made.
In honor of the first batches of okra and corn, I decided to make a succotash. I'm not a big lima bean fan though, so I made a southwestern version of it using black beans, zucchini and cumin. I served it as the side for a beautiful grilled buffalo NY strip. I was in heaven!
Southwestern Succotash
olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
about 1/2 a container of okra, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
1-2 zucchini squash, diced
2 jalapenos or other peppers, seeded and chopped
2 ears of corn, kernels trimmed from cob
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 tomato diced
cumin
pepper
salt
fresh cilantro, chopped
Heat a pan at medium-high heat and add olive oil. Saute onion and garlic until clear. Add the okra, corn, zucchini and jalapenos and cook until just tender. Add black beans and cook until heated through. Season with cumin salt and pepper to taste and combine well with the veggies. Take the pan off the heat and toss in the tomatoes and cilantro.
