Monday, May 26, 2008

Austin Farm to Camper?

I didn't make it to the farmers market this week because the family went to New Braunfels for Memorial Day weekend. Luckily I had some leftover veggies in the fridge from last week and I got fresh eggs from my colleague at work. I had just enough supplies to make my famous Antipasto Pasta Salad (one of Ginger's favorites) and some deviled eggs. Yum!

Some of you have seen my Antipasto Pasta salad recipe before. I decided to make it a little healthier by adding some veggies to the mix so I did a rough chop on some asparagus, peeled carrots, and squash and blanched them for the last two minutes of boiling the pasta so that they would still be crunchy but not too crunchy.

I hope everyone had a great weekend and that you enjoy the AntiPasto Pasta Salad.

ANTIPASTO PASTA SALAD
Gourmet, June 2004
Makes 6 main-course servings.

2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 lb rotini (corkscrew pasta), freshly cooked to tender, rinsed under cold water, and drained - I used whole wheat penne and it was great
1 (12-oz) jar marinated artichokes, drained and chopped
1 (12-oz) jar roasted red peppers, drained and cut into 1/4-inch-thick strips
1/2 lb mozzarella, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 lb thinly sliced sweet soppressata or salami, cut into 1-inch pieces
25
1/4 lb Kalamata or other brine-cured black olives, pitted and chopped (1/2 cup)
1 1/2 cups loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
**I added the chopped blanched vegetables here. I used about 4 spears of asparagus, 1 small squash and 2 peeled carrots. Did a rough chop and then threw them in with the pasta for the last two minutes of cooking the pasta. This blanched the veggies but kept them crunchy.

Whisk together red-wine vinegar and olive oil in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and
toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature.

Deviled Eggs
There isn't anything special about this recipe other than using fresh farm eggs. Farm eggs taste so much better than grocery eggs; it's completely worth the extra money.

10 hard boiled eggs
mayonnaise
mustard
dry hot mustard
cayenne
salt
paprika

Boil, peel and cut the eggs in half. Scoop the yolks out into a bowl. Mash the yolks with a fork. Mix in mayonnaise, mustard, a little dry hot mustard, a little cayenne and salt to taste. I don't measure - I just add a little and taste, add a little and taste until I feel like it's right. Spoon the yolk filling into the egg whites. Sprinkle a little paprika over the top.