Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Spicing Things Up on Sunday Night

As I've mentioned before, I am a huge fan of San Miguel Seafood and being able to buy fresh seafood from the gulf at the market. A couple of weeks ago they had a fresh new batch of shrimp that was begging to be served up for Sunday dinner.

My sister and I are both crazy about shrimp so we never get tired of looking for a new recipe. She dug this one up from Cooking Light. I served it with some patty pan squash that I cooked with the same spices. It was delicious!


Chile-Garlic Shrimp
From Cooking Light

1 (3 1/2-ounce) bag boil-in-bag brown rice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 pounds peeled and deveined large shrimp (about 32)
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
3 large garlic cloves, sliced
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup dry white wine
4 (1/4-inch-thick) lemon slices
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon butter
Lemon wedges (optional)

1. Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.

2. Sprinkle salt and black pepper evenly over shrimp. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shrimp, red pepper, garlic, and bay leaf to pan; cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add wine and lemon to pan. Increase heat to medium-high, and bring to a simmer; cook until liquid is reduced to 1/2 cup (about 3 minutes). Remove from heat. Discard bay leaf and lemon. Add parsley and butter, stirring until butter melts. Serve shrimp and sauce over rice.

Serve with lemon wedges, if desired.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 8 shrimp, 1/2 cup rice, and 2 tablespoons sauce)