Sunday, December 21, 2008

What I Learned from Austin Farm to Table

I started Austin Farm to Table as a way to keep myself on course for my annual cookbook project for friends and family.  I decided that for one year, I would shop at a local farmers market each week and then cook something from what I found.   I would try to depend on the market for anything I could buy there and only go to the grocery store for the things I couldn't buy at the market, like pasta and rice.

I was spurred on by a gift from a friend - Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.  I was appalled by the waste in shipping food.  I was stunned by the information about commercial farming and ranching.  The passionate fighter in me was determined to make a difference.

I didn't realize what I was doing.  I've been a farmers market devotee since the Sustainable Food Center started the downtown market, but I also had a weekly Central Market & HEB habit (sometimes both).  Now, I was going to rely on the market for as much as possible.  Hmmm....

And, then I had the stupid idea to start in January.  You know what's fresh in January - beets and greens.  I wasn't in the habit of eating either.  Oh boy.

I stretched outside my comfort zone and started cooking - what I love to do.  I researched recipes, found things I liked and even ate some things I didn't think I'd like at all (see Kohlrabi). And the interesting thing is, the more I shopped, the more the market provided.  We love seafood in our family and, voila, there was a seafood vendor.   

I shopped with friends and family.  I bought "bunny" carrots and endless cucumbers for Sean & Ali.  Roxanne and I poked and prodded a lot of produce as she told everyone who would stand still long enough that I had a blog.  (Big thanks to Rox, the best marketing goddess).    My sister patiently inspected what I brought to her house to cook and only hesitated slightly when I wanted to cook something weird.

I talked to the farmers when I didn't know how to cook something and I experimented on my friends.  Oh, did I experiment on my friends. I will never forget Sandy's face when I told her I cooked goat for dinner.  I swear she only took that first bite because I promised her pasta shells if she didn't like it.   My friends and family were patient and kind as I inflicted experiment after experiment on them.  Thanks guys. 

I learned from my friends - thanks Ana for my new favorite recipe that even involves beets! Who knew beet greens were going to be my new favorite thing.  I was giddy when it cooled down enough for beets.  I am addicted to Grandma's Hummus and Jake's Granola.  And, I have  a serious thing for Rosemary Ciabatta.

But for all the things I learned this year, I learned the most about myself.  I love to cook.  I love everything about it.  I love to wash and peel vegetables.  I love massaging a spice rub into meat.  I love marinating seafood.  I love chopping and dicing.  

And, I know more about cooking than I thought I did.  I researched websites and cookbooks for recipes; cooking other people's food.  Then, I started to cook my own.  I trusted my instincts and started cooking some pretty good food.  My food.

The grand experiment is over for this year, but I'm going to keep Austin Farm to Table going.  It's been a lot of fun and there is more to do.  This year, the focus will be on my own recipes.  No more depending on others inspiration - I'm digging deep.  And for Eddie, I promise this year there will be pictures of the food.

I hope you are in for another fun year!  See you at the market.