I wandered up to the Brushy Creek Farmers Market, 16318 Great Oaks Drive, last weekend to see how it compared to other local markets. It is a smaller market, there were 7-8 vendors that weekend, but there was great variety and I was able to easily fill my shopping bag. Amy Ingram, the market organizer, said that there were typically 2-3 more vendors but they were out because of low season or summer vacations.
The market included two produce vendors with booths packed with great
choices including plenty of fruit - melons, apples, pears. I was very excited to see the Mediterranean Chef so that I could get my weekly supply of hummus. There was also a meat vendor who had goat and lamb at very reasonable prices. A number of vendors offered prepared foods including Kala's Kuisine (love the samosas) and Aunt Nita's Homestyle Foods (the jalapeno cheese dip is delicious.)
I was impressed with Christen's Gourmet Pralines. Hailing from New Orleans, Christen now offers twelve flavors of pralines for sale. She said the pralines in a decorative box have been quite popular as guest
gifts for weddings and parties. I can see these ending up in my holiday baskets this year.
If you are in NW Austin, the Brushy Creek Farmers Market is definitely worth a stop during your Saturday morning errands. The market is open 9 am to 1 pm. Who knows, with one of my dear friends moving out that way, you may even see me there more often.
See you at the market!
