My first dinner at Mulberry was with a group of friends and we shared several plates. The Devils on Horseback (figs wrapped in bacon - yum!), Meatballs, Truffled Steak Tartare and Braised Pork Belly were delicious and all were a little surprising. There was something special in each dish that made you want to taste it again and savor it more.
The finale that evening was bacon ice cream on a cinnamon brioche crisp. I know what you are thinking - bacon ice cream? Yep. And it was lip smacking good. The saltiness of the bacon, the spice of the cinnamon and the maple syrup worked really well together, and we managed not to fight each other for the last bite.
In an effort at full disclosure, since my first visit to Mulberry, I have had the honor to become friends with Executive Chef Zack Northcutt and have eaten at the restaurant several times. Naturally, I'm probably a little biased toward my friend, but if his food wasn't great, I certainly wouldn't vouch for it on this blog.
And I do - vouch for the food that is. Mulberry's seasonal menu is creative, fun and it will keep you coming back for more. I mean, where else are you going to get a foie gras burger?
Mulberry is one of the restaurants participating in the upcoming Eat Local Week festivities sponsored by Edible Austin December 5th through 12th. Why not make plans to stop by, sample some of their locally sourced items and help Urban Roots in the process? Sounds like a delicious deal to me.
