A few years ago, I was convinced that I had a black thumb, unable to grow anything. Fortunately, my friends, as always, have more faith in me than I have in myself, and Sandy offered to coach me on growing herbs so that I didn’t have to schlep to Central Market every time I wanted basil.
Which brings us to this summer. All spring and summer I listened to my friends rave about their gardens and the beautiful vegetables they were eating. I was green with envy.
Fortunately, my friend Carla Crownover of Austin Urban Gardens is determined and was undeterred by this obstacle. She explained that I could grow my own vegetables using an Earthbox, a delightful invention that allows even the worst plant parent (me) to successfully grow vegetables. Woo hoo!! Sign me up. And, Carla did just that.
Austin Urban Gardens very graciously gave me an Earthbox and a bag of soil to get me started. The Earthbox has a built in irrigation reservoir and comes with step-by-step, almost idiot-proof instructions (I only had to call Carla once during planting).
She also connected me with JJ Garcia at Shady Hollow Farms from whom I bought my starters – lettuce, Swiss chard and spinach. I bought starters instead of seeds for the first round of plants as I knew it would be important to have some immediate sense of satisfaction and progress this time. In the spring, I’ll try seeds.
Oh, and I got more herbs – some from JJ and some from my friend Darrell of Bella Verdi Farms. All the herbs are in pots and I now have 2 kinds of basil, sage, thyme, peppermint, spearmint, chives, lemon grass, oregano, and rosemary. I also have a bay tree (again thanks to Carla) and a Kaffir lime tree.
After much instruction from my gardening coaches, Carla, Darrell and Cecilia Nasti (host of Growing Concerns on KUT), the starters are planted and watered, so now we wait. I’ll keep you posted on how it’s going.
In the meantime, is there something you’ve been aching to grow? There are a number of gardening services in Austin who will help you get started, so what are you waiting for?
