Thursday, July 29, 2010

Buying Local at the New Braunfels Farm to Market

DSCF2470As I prepare for the annual family trip down the Comal, I'm looking forward to visiting the New Braunfels Farm to Market on Saturday morning.  This fairly new market, launched this Spring, is located on South Castell next to Friesenhaus in New Braunfels' quaint downtown.

The market has quickly attracted a lengthy list of vendors who also serve the Pearl Farmers Market in San Antonio and the Austin markets.  On my last trip to the market, I was delighted to find some of my favorite vendors including CKC Farms and their delicious goat cheese, Montesino Ranch, Ottmer's Family Farm, Harvest Time Farm Stand and The Mediterranean Chef.

In addition to a wide selection of produce, you can also buy olive oil from Texas Olive Ranch, bread and baked goods from several bakeries, salsa from Kelly Jo's and granola from Cowgirl Granola.

DSCF2499The market is very well attended, packed with shoppers starting at 9 am.  I highly recommend getting their early if you are looking for something particular.

I also recommend showing up hungry.  There are several vendors serving up barbeque, tacos and even kettle corn.  (Honestly, is there anything that smells better than kettle corn?)

If you are looking for a fun day trip, the New Braunfels Farm to Market is a great way to kick off the day.  Pack a cooler and your shopping bag and enjoy a lovely morning in historic downtown New Braunfels.  On second thought, maybe you should bring two shopping bags.

See you at the market!

DSCF2477
DSCF2478
DSCF2479

DSCF2485
DSCF2489