Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Slow Money Picking Up Speed

Sometimes I lay awake at night worrying about sustainable food.  I wonder how we can ensure the sustainable food movement isn't just a passing phase.  I fret about making sure local food is available to everyone, not just people in higher income communities.  I ponder how we get people to stop buying Twinkies and start buying from great local vendors like Hope & Glory Pastry or Retro Bizzaro.  

How will we build the infrastructure to keep it going?  How on earth will we pay for it all?  Toss, turn, toss, turn....

Fortunately, I am not alone.  Apparently, Woody Tasch, founder of the Slow Money Alliance and author of Inquiries Into the Nature of Slow Money, and many other like minded folks worry about the same things.

If you aren't familiar with the idea, Slow Money is a movement that is working to build a financial network that will invest in sustainable food endeavors from soil preservation to farms to food artisans to food distribution networks - the whole gamut.  These investments may not have as high an ROI (return on investment) as traditional markets, but will have a greater return to the community and our future.



This grassroots movement, named by BusinessWeek as one of the Big Ideas of 2010, has gained incredible momentum since I first heard of it at the Texas Book Festival last fall.  In less than a year, a small group of volunteers formed Slow Money Texas and organized a Showcase and dinner in April to introduce and explore how we might support a sustainable food ecosystem here.   Since then, the Texas chapter has appointed an Executive Director, Joanne Marino, and begun building chapters in Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, Houston and El Paso.

Last month, three Texas sustainable food companies were selected to present at the National Slow Money conference.  Greenling, Coyote Creek Organic Feed Mill and Rhythm Superfoods each pitched their company and investment needs to a national gathering of Slow Money devotees.

Investors are choosing to back these ventures because they care as much about the future of our food industry as they do about their dividends.  With a strong support system, hopefully both can thrive and grow.

Intrigued?  Wondering how you can learn more and get involved?

The Slow Money Alliance offers a list of 10 Things You Can Do Now.  Some of them are as simple as watching a video and signing a petition. Come on, be bold, go click on the link.

You can also learn more about Slow Money this coming Thursday, July 29th at a Slow Money Primer hosted by Slow Money Austin from 7:00 to 9:00 pm at Ventana del Soul Cafe & Cultural Center, 1834 E. Oltorf.

Whether you are flush with cash or have time to give instead of dollars, I hope you'll consider how you might be able to help the Slow Money movement.  After all, in addition to investing in our future, you'll be helping me sleep through the night, and I appreciate that greatly.