I've been trying to write a post for three days about these delicious, simple fish tacos I made a few weeks ago, but all I can think of is my grandmother Gladys who passed away over the weekend. Biologically Gladys was not my grandmother, she's my stepmother's mother, but through divorces and remarriages our family tree has always been a little more complicated than some, and Gladys was part of my life for 31 years so I claim her as a grandparent.
Gladys and Sid, her husband, were at every birthday, graduation, Christmas and Thanksgiving. They always remembered us as they did their own biological grandkids and made us feel part of the family. And, we she had occasion to introduce us, Gladys always said with a big smile, "These are Barbara's girls."
As I've been thinking about her this week, I've pondered the role that Gladys played in my food life. She did not like to cook. She, however, was always very appreciative when invited over for dinner and was the most gracious of guests - never turning her nose up, instead skipping the dish if it wasn't something she cared for. She always praised the meal highly and thanked the cook for their effort.
Gladys did host one dinner each year, Passover Seder; a meal she usually started by apologizing for not being a better cook. Her table is where I learned to eat things I had never even heard of before - my first matzo, gefilte fish and kuegel. She probably had no idea that she was fueling my slowly growing foodie curiosity, but that's exactly what happened.
So, even though I don't think she would have ever chosen this dish, I dedicate this recipe to Gladys for introducing me to a world of food I knew nothing about and teaching me to be a gracious guest. I am ever so grateful to have had her as part of my life.
Gladys, these fish tacos are for you.
Snapper tacos with avocado, cilantro and black radish relish
During an unseasonably nice week in late January, I received an avocado, cilantro and a black radish in my Farmhouse Delivery bushel. At the market that Saturday and thought they would make a great relish for fish tacos. I bought the snapper flilet from San Miguel Seafoods that Saturday and enjoyed this light and flavorful dish for lunch.
The radish gives the relish a nice kick and crunch. If you can't find a black radish, you can substitute withe 4-5 smaller radishes.
The tacos only take about 15 minutes to make and would be a terrific weeknight meal when paired with some black beans or cilantro rice.
1 snapper filet (about 4 oz per person), leave the skin on to keep the fish in tact while broiling or grilling
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
olive oil
1 avocado
1 black radish (you can substitute several smaller radishes instead)
1/4 bunch of cilantro, rinsed and trimmed
juice from 1 lime
salt to taste
corn tortillas
Preheat the broiler or the grill.
Combine the cumin and chili powder in a small bowl.
Rub a little olive oil on both sides of the fish. Rub some of the spice mixture on the top (fleshy part) of the fish.
Place the fish under the broiler or on the grill and allow it to cook about 10 minutes per inch of thickness.
While the fish is cooking, dice the avocado and radish. I peeled my radish, but have since learned that if you leave the skin on a black radish it gives it more of a horseradish taste. If you'd like to add some extra kick to the dish, leave the skin on the radish. Chop the cilantro.
Combine the radish, avocado, cilantro and lime juice in a bowl. Salt to taste.
Remove the fish from the oven. Wrap the tortillas in a damp washcloth and microwave for about 30 seconds so that they are soft and pliable.
Place a small piece of fish on each tortilla and dress with the relish.
