I taught on Tuesday, but I wanted to cook and for some I was craving enchiladas. This is peculiar for me because I don't really love enchiladas. They are ok, but not my favorite. When I do eat enchiladas, I usually prefer the vegetable variety, particularly spinach and mushroom. So, when I started craving enchiladas, I decided to hit the vegetable drawer.
I didn't have spinach, but I did have swiss chard, mushrooms and zucchini. I decided to wing it and was pretty happy with the results. Since it was mid-week and I was hungry, I cheated and didn't make the green sauce from scratch. Instead I substituted HEB Green Chile Enchilada Sauce. It was pretty darn good for a thrown together dinner.
Farmers Market Enchiladas
1 zucchini, chopped
1/2 lb mushrooms, chopped
a couple of peppers, seeded and chopped - I had a couple of sweet peppers and one jalapeno
1/2 lb swiss chard, discard the large stems
cumin
salt & pepper
corn tortillas
1 can green chile enchilada sauce
cheese - I used a pepper jack that I got at the market
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Saute zucchini, mushrooms and peppers until almost tender. Add swiss chard, cumin, salt and pepper to taste. Cook until the chard is slightly wilted.
If needed, soften the tortillas for 30 seconds in the microwave so they don't break while you roll the enchiladas. Place a scoop of the vegetable mixture in each tortilla and roll closed. Place in a baking dish. Pour the sauce over the enchiladas and sprinkle with cheese.
Cook for 25-30 minutes until cheese is bubbly and enchiladas are cooked through.
