Tuesday, October 28, 2008

You know you're a real friend when...

I'm willing to make you risotto.  

I love risotto, but it is more of an upper body workout to make it than I’m usually willing to commit to for a dinner for one.  Luckily my friend Claire called recently to see what I was up to so I had the perfect excuse to commit to a risotto – a guest! (Or a guinea pig depending on how you look at it.)

I was delighted when I saw the fall/winter squashes appear at Steele Farm's booth at the market.  I’ve always been a fan of butternut squash, but had never done much with it besides roast it.  Claire coming over was the perfect reason to make butternut squash risotto.

I decided to wing it without a recipe and the results turned out pretty well according to Claire,  and I was pleased as well.   It even reheated well for lunch later in the week.  If you have your own favorite preparation of this, please feel free to share.

Butternut Squash Risotto

Butter

1 butternut squash, cut in half and seeded

Olive oil

Onion, chopped (I recommend not using a red onion since it won’t be as pretty)

Chicken broth (I prefer the Central Market brand)

1 cup Arborio rice

Parmesan cheese, to taste

Sage, chopped

Salt & pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Butter the flesh of the butter nut squash and the pan you are going to cook it in.  Place the squash flesh side down in the pan and cook until tender – about 25-30 minutes depending on the size of the squash.  (I use the fancy technique of sticking a fork in the skin side of the squash, and if it feels tender then it’s done.)  Set the squash aside to cool.  Scoop the flesh of the squash out of the skin and set aside to add to the risotto later.

Heat about a tablespoon of olive oil in the pot you are using for the risotto.  Saute the onions until tender.  Add the risotto and stir until full coated with oil/onion mixture.

Add ½ cup of chicken broth and stir until almost completely absorbed.  Add ¼ cup of chicken broth every few minutes (about 3-5) stirring constantly until the risotto takes on a creamy consistency.  When you taste it, the pasta should be just tender (al dente). 

Add the squash, parmesan and fresh sage to the risotto.  Stir and taste.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Adjust seasonings (particularly the sage & parmesan) as needed.

Enjoy and now go rest that stirring arm!