Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Another Spicy Sunday Night with Thai Basil Shrimp

Last week, we went to Suzi's China Grill for a staff lunch and I ordered one of my favorite dishes, Thai Basil Shrimp. As I was eating my delicious lunch, I realized I could make this dish and, even better, all of the ingredients were fresh at the market. Double Woo Hoo!

On Saturday, I hit all the necessary stands - shrimp from San Miguel Seafood, Thai Basil from Tecolote Farms, mushrooms from Kitchen Pride mushrooms and peppers from Steele Farms. It was maybe one of the easiest shopping lists I've ever put together. We served it over some brown rice and had a GREAT dinner. I don't know if it was just like Suzi's, but it was pretty darn close.

On the subject of shrimp, a quick correction to last week's post about seafood supplies. I misunderstood Roberto from San Miguel Seafood about the effects of Ike. They couldn't send out the fishing boats right after the storm, but shrimp was always in strong supply. And, now that the Galveston fishermen have headed to other ports, there are fish a plenty at San Miguel. The long and the short - go buy some seafood at the market. We used 2 lbs of the boat mix for the Thai Basil Shrimp and it was fantastic.

Thai Basil Shrimp
inspired by Suzi's China Grill

oil for stir frying
2 lbs fresh shrimp, peeled and deveiened
1/2 lb of mushrooms
2-3 bell peppers
2 jalapenos
1 bunch thai basil (you can use regular basil if you prefer)
2 cloves garlic, minced
Chinese Five Spice
Soy Sauce 
Pepper
2 cups cooked rice, we used brown


Heat oil in a pan (I would preferably use a wok, but I was cooking on an electric stove that night so I used a frying pan).  Saute the garlic, peppers, jalapenos and mushrooms until they begin to soften.  Add 2 tsps Chinese Five Spice (more if you prefer for flavor), pepper and about 1/4 cup soy sauce.  Combine well with the vegetables.  Taste for flavor and adjust as necessary.  Add the shrimp and basil and cook until the shrimp is cooked through.