Sunday, November 16, 2008

Fun with Fall Crops, Greenling to the Rescue & a Blue Avocado

If you haven't been to the farmers market recently, you are really missing out.  There is so much variety right now, it's hard to pick.  There are tons of greens (spinach, kale, broccoli), winter squash, beets, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, and kohlrabi.  Plus we still have some late summer crops like zucchini, tomatoes and okra.  I wanted to buy one of everything.

This last weekend, I was particularly excited to see the beautiful Red Leaf Lettuce they had at Harvest Time Farm Stand.  I'm always a sucker for Purple Hull Peas so I bought a bag from Engel Farms.  It was an added bonus that they were already shucked (yea Engel Farms!).  And, Blackland Praire has Spinach again.  I love spinach!   It was a fun day to shop.

Of course, there are those weekends when you just can't get to the market.  So what do you do? You can buy some local produce at Central Market, but it's not easy.  Luckily, we're blessed in Austin to have Greenling who will deliver local and organic food to your door.  If you haven't checked in to Greenling lately, they have seriously expanded their service area from from Georgetown all the way down to San Antonio.  This means you don't have to live next to one of the big HEBs or Central Market to get fresh, local, organic produce.    Woo hoo!

I haven't personally used them yet but have friends who have and they attest to it being a very helpful service.  It does make me very happy to know I have a back up option for the weeks I can't make it to the farmers market. Yea Greenling!

On a final miscellaneous note, I am always looking for a great shopping bag, particularly now that I am trying to avoid the plastic bags at the grocery line.  Recently, some friends of mine launched Blue Avocado - fabulous reusable grocery bags AND they are cute!  They would make great holiday gifts.  This is a great Austin-based company and the owners are good people.