Sunday, November 9, 2008

It's Grouper

One of my more vivid, odd-ball movie memories is the scene from "She's Having a Baby" where Elizabeth McGovern looks at Kevin Bacon and says, "It's grouper."  I don't know why that stuck in my brain other than it was really funny and, until that point in my life, I'd never had grouper.  So, yesterday when San Miguel Seafood had grouper, I had to buy some.

Since it was cool last night, I decided to make a heartier fish dish and poached the grouper with a mushroom saute and served the entire thing over sauteed spinach.  The fish was beautiful and I giggled as I ate it - "It's grouper." 

Poached Grouper with Sauteed Mushrooms

olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 onion
1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
dry white wine (remember, if you wouldn't drink it, don't cook with it)
chopped fresh thyme
salt & pepper to taste
2 grouper fillets  - I left the skin on for the poaching so that it wouldn't fall apart, but you will want to take it off before you plate.  Unlike salmon, grouper doesn't flake away from the skin easily.


In a skillet, saute the onion and 1 clove garlic in olive oil for a few minutes.  Add the mushrooms, about 1/2 cup of white wine and thyme and saute until tender.  Season with salt and pepper to taste and set the mushrooms to the side.

In a separate skillet over medium to medium-high heat, add the grouper, the other half of the garlic and about 1.5 cups of white wine (you want the wine to be about 1/2 way up the grouper).  Bring the liquid to a simmer and cover the skillet.  Let the fish cook until the meat is tender.  I test it by sticking a fork in it.

Remove the fish from the skillet and cut off the skin.  Plate the fish and spoon the mushroom mixture over the top.