Sunday, November 9, 2008

Pot Luck Cannelloni

Sunday night is normally family dinner night, but this week we switched things around and I attended a potluck dinner with friends.    I wanted to do something a little unusual but healthy. 

When I was at the market on Saturday, I was excited that broccoli and cauliflower were back in season and remembered a recipe from Jamie Oliver's Jamie at Home show for a cannelloni recipe that included both.  I figured if nothing else, it includes pasta so it has to be good, right?  

The recipe was pretty straightforward to make.  I completely messed up trying to fill the cannelloni with the plastic bag.  He made it look so easy - how did I mess that up?  Regardless, I filled the cannelloni by hand and it still worked great.

You could also easily make this recipe vegetarian by leaving out the anchovies.  You will need to more heavily salt things because the anchovies add that salty flavor.  Also, since I was attending a potluck, I skipped the arugula step - it wouldn't have transported well.

It strikes me this would be a great way to get kids to eat vegetables who were otherwise likely to avoid broccoli or cauliflower.  Just a thought....

This is a twist on the classic Italian dish of orecchiette with broccoli, anchovies and garlic - I've added cauliflower and made it an oven-baked dish. The flavors are amazing.

Sea salt 
1 pound broccoli, washed, florets and stalks chopped 
1 pound romanesco or white cauliflower, washed, florets and stalks chopped 
Olive oil 
7 cloves garlic, peeled and finely sliced 
1 small bunch fresh thyme, leaves picked 
1 (1-ounce) can best-quality anchovies in oil, drained and chopped, oil reserved 
2 to 3 small dried chiles, crumbled 
Freshly ground black pepper 
2 cups good-quality tomato sauce 
Good-quality red wine vinegar 
2 cups creme fraiche 
7 ounces Parmesan, finely grated 
16 cannelloni tubes 
1 small bunch fresh basil, leaves picked 
7 ounces good-quality mozzarella cheese 
Extra-virgin olive oil 
4 large handfuls arugula leaves, washed and dried 
1 lemon


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil and drop in the chopped broccoli and cauliflower. Boil for 5 to 6 minutes, until cooked, then drain in a colander, reserving the cooking water.


Heat a wide saucepan, pour in a couple of good glugs of olive oil and add the garlic. Fry for a few  seconds, then add the thyme leaves, anchovies, anchovy oil and chiles and continue frying for a few seconds more before adding the cooked broccoli and cauliflower with around 4 tablespoons of the reserved cooking water. Stir everything together, put a lid on the pan leaving a little gap, and cook slowly for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring regularly - overcooking the vegetables not only intensifies their flavor but gives you the texture that you need for this recipe. Remove the lid for the last 5 minutes to let the moisture evaporate, then use a potato masher to crush the vegetables. Take the saucepan off the heat, taste the vegetables and season carefully with salt and pepper. Spread the mixture on a baking sheet to cool. Meanwhile, get yourself another baking dish or roasting pan (the right size for fitting the cannelloni tubes snugly side by side - I test this by actually laying the tubes into the dish, then remove them and put to 1 side) and pour in the tomato sauce with a pinch of salt and a swig of red wine vinegar.


Now, to make a really quick and easy white sauce, mix the creme fraiche with half the Parmesan, a sprinkling of salt and pepper and a little of the reserved cooking water to thin it down.


Spoon your cooled broccoli and cauliflower mixture into a large sandwich bag and cut off the corner. Twist the top of the bag and squeeze it to pipe the filling into the cannelloni tubes. (If you prefer, use a teaspoon to push the mixture into the cannelloni or use a piping bag.) Fill the tubes up - don't be stingy! - and place them in a single layer on top of the sauce. Lay the basil leaves over the cannelloni and spoon your white sauce evenly over the top. Season with black pepper, sprinkle over the remaining Parmesan and tear over the mozzarella. Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden and bubbling on top.


Dress the arugula leaves with a squeeze of lemon juice and about 3 times as much extra- virgin olive oil. Serve the cannelloni with the arugula and some good crusty bread.