If you have been following the blog for long, you know that I am a zucchini fanatic. I checked tonight and I have posted more recipes with zucchini in them than anything else. Needless to say, I was pretty excited when I saw the first zucchini of the season - not peaches excited, but excited.
For Cinco de Mayo, I decided to celebrate by combining two of my favorite dishes. One of my favorite dishes is a variation on Skirt Steak with Poblano Rajas and Zucchini that I found several years ago and have made with every thing from the suggested steak to shrimp to chicken to eggs. I love zucchini prepared this way.
I'm also a big fan of the Calabazita Rellena on the lunch menu at Manuel's in downtown Austin. I've never attempted to make this delicious chili relleno-like zucchini shell stuffed with pulled pork, but I order it almost every time I have lunch there.
Since I've just started triathlon season, the Calabazita Rellena with its pork deliciousness did not seem like a good idea (although it sounded really good), so I decided to make a vegetarian version of this dish. I know, I know - the pork would have been really good. I can hear Anthony Bourdain cursing me in my head. Maybe in the fall after my last triathlon.
Instead, I prepared the stuffing using a similar preparation to the Poblano Rajas and Zucchini dish and combined it with quinoa to make it more filling and add some protein. I did not add cheese in my version, but put a little sour cream on to give it some creaminess. It would be great with some queso fresco crumbled on top.
Spicy Stuffed Zucchini
4 zucchini
1/2 lb mushrooms, chopped
2-3 spring onions, chopped
1/2 bunch of Swiss chard, chopped
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
2 tbsps olive oil
1 cup quinoa
2 cups chicken broth
2-3 tsps sour cream
chopped cilantro, for garnish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cut 3 of the zucchini lengthwise. Spoon out the insides so that you are left with a zucchini "boat." Save the zucchini flesh for the stuffing. Set the zucchini boats in a baking dish.
Prepare the quinoa by placing one cup of quinoa and 2 cups of chicken broth in a pot. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and let the quinoa simmer for 15 minutes. Set the prepared quinoa to the side.
Combine the chili powder and cumin in a small bowl to mix them well together. Do not hesitate to up the quantity if you like things a little spicier.
Dice the 4th zucchini to use in the stuffing. Combine the zucchini flesh, the diced zucchini, mushrooms and green onions in a mixing bowl. Toss with one tbsp of olive oil and the spice mix so that the vegetables are well coated.
Heat the remaining tbsp of olive in a skillet. Add the spiced vegetable mix to the skillet and cook until almost tender. Add the Swiss chard and add until wilted. Take the vegetables off of the heat. Add quinoa to the mix one big spoonful at a time until you get the mix of quinoa/vegetables that you like. (I ended up with about one serving of quinoa left in the pot.)
Stuff the zucchini boats with the quinoa/vegetable mixture. If you'd like to add cheese, sprinkle it on top at this point. I recommend you use queso fresco or mozzarella. Pour a small amount of water into the bottom of the baking dish and cook for 30 minutes or until the zucchini shell feels just tender to the touch.
Place a dollop of sour cream on top and garnish with sour cream.
