Thursday, May 14, 2009

Turning 100 and Market Update

I never thought I'd be excited to turn 100, but this week I posted my 100th article to Austin Farm to Table and I'm pretty darn excited about it.  I started the blog in January of 2008 as an anti-procrastination tool for my annual family cookbook project.  I never really expected anyone else except my closest family members to read it. 

But now, there are about 1,000 of you reading the blog each month and, while I haven't met most of you, I have made some great new friends along the way.  It has been a lot of fun.    

I have received some nudging and requests from readers and friends alike to branch out a bit. Apparently, not that many of my friends cook, so in celebration of my 100th post, I'm announcing some new features to the blog.

In addition to regularly posting recipes featuring sustainable produce and meat, I will now regularly profile restaurants that support and work with local farms.  I will also highlight where you can buy local produce and products at different stores around town.  No more crisis when you run out of Jake's Granola, Gramma's Humus and Remember When milk on a non-market day.

Finally, when I started the blog I promised to visit different markets and, instead, I have proven true to my nature and not traveled far outside my comfort zone.  It's time to start exploring!  Beginning Memorial Day weekend, I will host Meet Me at the Market days once each month when you can come shopping with me if you'd like.  

The first market adventure will be at Boggy Creek Farm (3414 Lyons Road, Austin TX 78702 ) on Saturday May 23rd. I'll be there at 9 am and I'll come up with some way you can identify me that doesn't involve me wearing something ridiculous.  This is going to be fun!

But enough about me.  Following are updates on this week's markets.  Hope to see you there!

Downtown Austin Farmers Market, Saturday 5/16 - There will be certified organic blueberries and peaches this week.  Yum!

Sunset Valley Farmers Market will not be at the Burger Center on Saturday May 16th, but will instead be held on Pillow Road behind the Sunset Valley Elementary School again.  You can reach the site by turning right onto Sunset Trail, which is the first right past the entry into the Tony Burger Stadium parking lot on the 290 access road.  Parking will be tight so please park as far away from the market as is possible if you don't mind walking.