Saturday, May 23, 2009

Veggies, Veggies, Everywhere and the Perfect Post-Market Sandwich

052309_1I had a great time this morning, first exploring at Boggy Creek Farm and then heading to the Downtown Austin Farmers Market to round out my purchases.


Boggy Creek Farm is another East Austin gem nestled in the neighborhood off of Airport & Springdale.  The farm stand, which operates from 9 am - 1 pm on Wednesdays and Saturdays, was already packed at 9:03 when I got there.  I was a little worried, that things might be picked over, but there was still plenty for me to buy.  

052309_2I decided on a couple of pounds of potatoes, a bunch of leeks, 2 different kinds of squash, cucumbers, and a bunch of aramanth.  I'm not sure if I had even seen aramanth before this week, but both Rain Lily and Boggy Creek had it so I decided that it was time I figure out what to do with it.  According to the sign at Boggy Creek,
it's best suited for sauteing or soups.


052309_3
I was still missing a few things I needed for the week, particularly some

 protein, fruit, granola and milk so I headed downtown to the Austin Farmers Market.  And of course, I bought more veggies there too.   

The best part of the trip was running into a number of friends at the market who were searching for specific things and not sure where to find them.  From helping Sandra find a mint plant to introducing Penny and Addie to Remember When Dairy, it was really fun to be their shopping guide.  We were having such a great time we decided we needed to show off our purchases.
  
052309_4Are those two gorgeous bags of produce or what?  Penny De Los Santos, a brilliant photographer, took the photo with my iphone (so no judging her genius because of my lack of camera) and is the proud owner of the bag on the right, which is stuffed with greens, daikon radishes and Remember When Dairy milk.  The Blue Avocado bag on the left belongs to Laura Kelso, writer and contributor to the wonderful food review site www.dishola.com. I didn't search through Laura's bag (trying to have some level of decorum), but it was stuffed to the gills with goodies.

052309_5
After two hours of shopping, I had worked up quite an appetite so I came

 home and made one of my favorite post-market treats, a sandwich with Grandma's Humus from the Mediterranean Chef, Tomato Basil Chevre from Made in the Shade, sliced tomatoes and basil.  I added a few radishes as a side dish and ate a fresh Texas peach for dessert.  HEAVEN!


So, what did you buy at the market today?