I'm frequently intrigued by some idea or other, after all Top Chef inspired the idea for the pho with the Daikon radish noodles. However, I am not usually moved to make one of their recipes verbatim.
Imagine my surprise when I became obsessed with Eddie Gilbert's (Next Food Network Star) Brussels Sprouts Hash recipe. Maybe it was the way the judges kept mentioning how good it was. Whatever sparked the fire, I just had to make it and fortunately there are still Brussels
Sprouts at the market.
I didn't follow Eddie's Steak recipe or make the chutney, but I'm sure they were probably great as well. (For his complete recipe, click the link of the recipe title.)
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Tennessee Drunken Braised Brussels Sprouts and Bacon Hash
Heat a grill or grill pan to medium.
(Adapted from a larger recipe from Eddie Gilbert from the TV show Next Food Network Star)
8 strips bacon, diced
3 medium shallots, chopped
2 leeks, white and light green part only, finely chopped
4 tablespoons thinly sliced scallions
2 pounds Brussels sprouts, outer peels removed, chopped
Salt and black pepper to taste
2 bottles Jamaican lager, plus more for serving
1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 pounds Brussels sprouts, outer peels removed, chopped
Salt and black pepper to taste
2 bottles Jamaican lager, plus more for serving
1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon until the edges start to crisp up but not fully cooked. Remove to a paper-towel lined plate and drain. Reserve the bacon fat in the skillet.
Meanwhile, in another skillet over medium-high heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add half the shallots and cook until translucent. Add the leeks, scallions, and Brussels sprouts. Cook until the vegetables begin to wilt and soften. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Add about 6 ounces lager, so that half of this hash mixture is covered by liquid. Bring the hash to a simmer and reduce until almost all the liquid is gone. Add the bacon, 1 more tablespoon of butter and reduce the heat to low, cooking the bacon further, and stirring the hash occasionally.
To the vegetable hash, add 1 or 2 more tablespoons butter, about 2 tablespoons of the reserved bacon fat, and both the whole-grain and Dijon mustard and saute a few minutes more. Adjust seasoning, to taste.
