Monday, January 11, 2010

Living Local: A Farm on Your Doorstep - Joining a CSA

When I returned from the holidays, the veggie crisper was BARE.  Luckily, my Farmhouse Delivery box was scheduled for the next day.  Phew!
11110_1
I joined the CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) back in October and have found it an invaluable way to keep fresh fruits and veggies in abundant supply.  With a CSA, you typically commit for a season, sometimes up to a year, for a weekly or bi-weekly delivery that costs between $25-$40 depending on the farm.

I was a little concerned when I joined that I might not be as motivated to go to the farmers markets, but I've been using my market time to shop for things I use daily (like radishes), meats, cheeses and other staples.  The CSA has also taken the pressure off of feeling like I have to make it to the market.  If, like this last weekend, I miss the market, then I still have plenty of veggies for the week.

I also find my delivery pushes me to cook things that I might not normally buy.  Like most people, I have a tendency to buy my favorites and not mix it up a lot.  When something arrives in the CSA delivery, I feel motivated to cook it even if it means some research. After all, I had never eaten beets before I joined my first CSA, and now I love them.

If you, like many of my friends, are trying to eat more fresh, local produce, I highly recommend joining a CSA. Following is a list of some of the CSAs in the Central Texas area.  Please post a comment if you know of other CSAs in the area so we can create a more inclusive list.

Farmhouse Delivery
Finca Pura Vida
GreenGate Farms
Hairston Creek Farm
Johnson's Backyard Garden
Milberg Farm
Tecolote Farm
Urban Roots
Walnut Creek Organic Farms

Now, go eat something local!