I added turnips to the soup balance out the richness of the squash and chose rosemary as the herb, inspired by a black-eyed pea dish seasoned with rosemary that my friend Zack made for a New Year's dinner. If you'd like to add a touch of green to the soup, Spinach or Kale would make a nice addition.
This recipe makes an enormous batch of soup, about 10 servings. I froze it and have been eating it for lunch with a side salad. It reheats nicely and is delicious!
1 tbsp olive oil
2 leeks or 1 onion - peeled and chopped
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
3 large turnips, peeled and chopped
2 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped
2 quarts chicken or vegetable broth
2 tbsps fresh rosemary, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add the onions and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the other vegetables and saute for another 5 minutes to sweat the vegetables and let the flavors come out.
Add the beans and 1.5 quarts of the stock. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to simmer. Cover and let the soup simmer for about an hour, adding stock as needed. Add the rosemary, salt and pepper and cook for another 15 minutes.
I garnished with a little extra fresh rosemary, but I would skip this step if you don't like a strong rosemary flavor.
