Shortly after that meal, I saw a recipe for lettuce soup. I simultaneously thought "that sounds weird" and "I have to try and make that." Then, this weekend Mark Bittman of the New York Times ran a lettuce soup recipe. Coincidence? I think not.
So, last night as I dug through the veggie drawer trying to figure out what to make before my Farmhouse Delivery arrives today, I saw a half full bag of mixed lettuce from Montesino Ranch and a head of Bibb lettuce I bought from Bella Verdi Farms this weekend. Clearly, it was time to make lettuce soup.
First, I needed some broth. For the last couple of months, I have been saving broccoli and asparagus stalks, freezing them in plastic bags so I could use them in a veggie broth. I tossed them in a pot them with a couple of chopped carrots, a bunch of chopped leeks, green onions, shallots a bay leaf and some thyme and simmered it all in water to cover for about an hour and a half. It made a terrific broth and now I have some room in the freezer again.
With the broth ready to go, it was time to get to the task at hand. I studied a number of different recipes; some called for just lettuce, some for lettuce and potatoes, some for lettuce and peas. I didn't have a potato or peas, but I did have asparagus so I used that instead. I also substituted sour cream for heavy cream to make it a little lighter in the calorie count.
The soup was deep green and delicious with a bright Spring flavor. I ate it hot with a chunk of sour rye bread from New Bread Rising at the Barton Creek farmers market, but the soup would have been just as delicious served cold.
I'm excited to have a new way to use lettuce, particularly lettuce that is nearing the end of it's salad days. After all - waste not, want not.
Lettuce & Asparagus Soup
1 large head lettuce or a bag of mixed lettuce greens
1 medium onion, chopped
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
1 bunch of asparagus, chopped
2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
1/2 cup sour cream
Rinse your lettuce and, if you are using a head of lettuce, chop the lettuce.
Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another minute. Add lettuce and cook until wilted, stirring occasionally.
Add asparagus, broth, water, salt, and pepper and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. At this point it looks like unappetizing seaweed, but stick with it.
Purée soup in batches in a blender with dill and cream. (Note:I initially tried blending the soup with my immersion blender as this tends to be a little less messy for me since I am a total klutz. Unfortunately, because I used mixed lettuce that had small stems, I ended up with a stringy tangle of lettuce around the blade. Use the blender and save yourself from having to de-string your immersion blade.)
Garnish with a dab of sour cream and a sprig of dill. It would also look nice with a curlicue of carrot on top.
1 large head lettuce or a bag of mixed lettuce greens
1 medium onion, chopped
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
1 bunch of asparagus, chopped
2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
1/2 cup sour cream
Rinse your lettuce and, if you are using a head of lettuce, chop the lettuce.
Add asparagus, broth, water, salt, and pepper and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. At this point it looks like unappetizing seaweed, but stick with it.
Purée soup in batches in a blender with dill and cream. (Note:I initially tried blending the soup with my immersion blender as this tends to be a little less messy for me since I am a total klutz. Unfortunately, because I used mixed lettuce that had small stems, I ended up with a stringy tangle of lettuce around the blade. Use the blender and save yourself from having to de-string your immersion blade.)
Garnish with a dab of sour cream and a sprig of dill. It would also look nice with a curlicue of carrot on top.
