Thursday, August 25, 2011

Goodbye Hyde Park, Hello Allandale

On my walk through the neighborhood this morning, I grew increasingly sentimental as I passed the landmarks I've grown to know and love over the last eight years.  I moved to Hyde Park in September 2003 and its institutions and quirks have become a big part of my life.  I started in a house, moved to a studio and turn over the keys to my small one bedroom apartment on Saturday.

While I lived in Hyde Park, I truly became a creature of my neighborhood.  I've bought my morning coffee and the occasional Marvelous Morning Muffin at Quack's Bakery and visited my friends at Antonelli's Cheese often.  I've savored lovely Italian meals at Asti and scarfed pizza with my buddies at The Parlor.  I practically used Vino Vino as my living room when I lived in the studio.  They've hosted my birthday parties, book club and helped me toast many great moments over the years.

Small plates
Tapas at Vino Vino
I've eaten my share of Queen B sandwiches at the Avenue B Grocery, swam in Shipe pool and played (poorly) on the tennis courts.  I've logged thousands (literally) of miles walking and cycling around the neighborhood.  I've shopped at the SFC Triangle Farmers Market and bought local goodies at the Fresh Plus.

IMG_0358
SFC Triangle Farmers Market
I've lived through some of my highest and lowest moments in Hyde Park - falling in love, having my heart broken (twice), falling from grace and finding redemption.  I've consoled friends, they've comforted me and we've had a lot of fun.  I started writing about food, learned how to garden and, well, basically grew up while I lived here.  And, now it's time to move on.

As much as I love Hyde Park, I need room to grow and, for all of its charms, space in Hyde Park costs too much.  So, like many of my friends, I head a little further from the center of the city to have a little more space for the next phase of life.  For the cost of rent and shared office, I can rent a townhouse that's twice as big as my little apartment.

I'm excited to explore the Allandale neighborhood and all it has to offer.  I adore Genuine Joe's coffee shop, have heard terrific things about the tacos at Dos Batos and am looking forward to the 6701 Burnet Road Farmers Market.  I'm now walking distance from the Alamo Drafthouse Village and The Pour House Pub is quickly becoming a new haunt.

The thing I'm looking forward to most is entertaining.  It's been almost six years since I lived in a place large enough to comfortably have people visit, and I can't wait.  My friends and family have indulged me over the years, offering up their kitchens so that I could cook up big meals, but it's not the same.  There is nothing quite like the joy of welcoming guests to share a meal that you have carefully prepared in your own kitchen.  I'm so excited to open my new home to my friends and family.

So, here's to new adventures and many more shared meals.  Don't worry Hyde Park, I'll visit often.