This has been a truly auspicious year as I started it on New Year's Day at a farmers market and now I get to spend my birthday there. I can't think of a better way to kick off the next year of my life than celebrating with local farmers, food artisans and, hopefully, you.
My friend Addie recently hosted a Pay It Forward birthday party and asked each of us to do good for someone else as her birthday gift. This Saturday, August 6th, I invite you to join me for a birthday breakfast at the Downtown Austin Farmers Market. We'll gather at the tables under the trees at 9:30 (I'll be the one with the balloons) and dine on local goodness. Your gift to me is to buy something for yourself from a local farm or food artisan. This heat and drought have been tough for all of us, but farmers have really suffered. Let's show them some love.
If you can't make it to the downtown market, please buy something at a market near you and either tweet to me (@kristifarm2tbl), post on Facebook, or comment here about what you bought. I'm more than happy with a virtual celebration.
And, if shopping at a market isn't in the cards for you on Saturday, consider making a donation to an organization that supports and operates farmers markets.
Sustainable Food Center - operates three farmers markets in Austin (Downtown, Sunset Valley, Triangle)
Urban Roots - youth organization that operates a farm in Austin and sells at the local markets
Urban Harvest - operates three farmers market in Houston (Eastside, Highland Village and City Hall)
San Antonio Food Bank - operates the Main Plaza market in San Antonio
Will you help me honor her wish by supporting your local farmers? Thanks in advance for the gift!

