Monday, August 22, 2011

Round Rock Farmers Market

On Wednesday afternoons, the Dell Diamond parking lot hosts produce and poultry instead of baseball fans as it welcomes the weekly Round Rock Farms 2 Market (4-8 pm on Wednesdays, rain or shine, Hwy 79 at Harrell Pkwy).

DSCF5729

Over two dozen vendors offer up produce, meats, cheeses, seafood, baked goods and prepared foods. The market is organized by Carla Jenkins of F2M Texas who also runs the Cedar Park Farms to Market at Lakeline Mall on Saturdays.

Gourds and pumpkins
Two Happy Children Farm

I was delighted with the variety of vendors and to see a number of familiar faces from other markets including  Christen's Gourmet Pralines, Dish a Licious, Two Happy Children Farm and Johnson's Backyard Garden.  I was excited to find Tamale Place, whose light and fluffy tamales I had sampled at another market a few years ago.  I bought a dozen cheese and jalapeno tamales to stash in the freezer.

Late summer produce

I also found some vendors who were new to me as well.  Fresh Pastures Farm sells poultry, rabbits and eggs as well as pastured pork and beef. They butcher their poultry on Tuesdays before the market so that the hens do not have to be frozen and  are currently taking orders for Thanksgiving turkeys.  I couldn't resist buying a rabbit for an upcoming paella night.

K &S Seafood was another great find.  They sell Gulf shrimp, scallops, crab, tuna, mahi mahi and snapper  at the market.  You can even buy a bag of fish heads for stock for $4 a bag.  The seafood was very fresh and worth the trip to Round Rock.

Snapper

If you are in northern part of the metro area on a Wednesday afternoon, the Round Rock Farms 2 Market is a well-run market with ample offerings for your pantry and table.  

See you at the ball park - I mean market!