Saturday, February 28, 2009

Market Update and Details about the Farm to Plate Dinner on May 7th

It was cold and very windy at the market on Saturday morning, but still a great day. I was a little disoriented walking around when all the tents weren't up, but I managed to fill my bag up without much problem.

This week, there were still Brussels Sprouts and even more strawberries (although by 11 am they were gone). There were more carrots this week, too. Milagro Farms had some beautiful beets that have a white stripe inside - they call them candy cane beets and they are gorgeous. 

I was trying to think of a recipe I could make with them that wouldn't cause them to lose their stripe and my friend Susan reminded me of a recipe from Aquarelle in which you use the beets as the "pasta" in a goat cheese ravioli. It's beautiful and delicious and would leave the beets in their candy cane state. I can't wait to make it again and encourage you to try it if you haven't. (And, yes I saw the Mark Bittman today article about not liking goat cheese and beets together, but I like it.)

A couple of important market notes - Saturday 3/7 is the Toyota Venza Taste of Market event.  Local chefs will create special recipes from market ingredients so come downtown between 9-1 pm to check it out.

Also, Farm to Plate tickets have gone on sale.  Farm to Plate is the annual fundraiser for the Sustainable Food Center on May 7th at which you will be able to taste delicious plates from local chefs and sip from 10 wineries and 3 local breweries.  Early bird tickets are on sale for $75 (regular ticket is $85) until March 14th so buy your tickets today.  

When Susan and I were discussing the Farm to Plate dinner, I told her how clumsy I am and how I find wine holder plates, the great appetizer plates with a place to rest your wine glass, to be very helpful.  She assured me there would be tables (but you know how these events are) and mentioned that she had tried to find eco-friendly disposable wine holder plates to no avail. Luckily Mansion is donating china.

I bought acrylic wine holder plates years ago before I thought about things like putting more plastic in a land fill, but I wash them after each event and reuse them.  I, of course, had to look for myself to see if I could find eco-friendy plates and spent the better part of Saturday night while babysitting my niece and nephew searching online (yes, I am a nerd).  

Susan was right; I couldn't find eco-friendly reuseable plates anywhere.  I did however find a plethora of ceramic, porcelain and wood plates that you could buy.  So, whether it is for the Texas Food and Wine Festival, Farm to Plate, or the Austin Wine Festival after that, consider bringing your own plate rather than using a plastic/acrylic one.  I'm sure the Barr Mansion plates will be great, but with one of these you are less likely to spill your dinner down your shirt...

Here are links to the places I found; I think the Bamboo plates (4 for $19.95) are my favorite. Very cute.

Ceramic & porcelain plates: 
Sand Dollar Plates - 4 for $31.50
Black & White Plates - 4 for $44.50
Wine Valley Wine Plates - 4 for $42/6 for $60

Wood: 
Target Teak Plates - 2 for $19.99 
Wood Cocktail Plates - 4 for $24.95
Ecobamboo Wine Plates - 4 for $28.95 
Bamboo Wine Plates - 4 for $19.95

Glass: