Thursday, February 12, 2009

Mon Petit Chou - Brussels Sprouts are here!

I was so excited last Saturday to find Brussels Sprouts at the market.  Since I have started buying most of my produce from the market, I get very excited when something new comes in season, and with Brussels Sprouts we have a very short season - 3 to 4 weeks.  If you are a fan of Brussels Sprouts, I highly recommend that you get yourself to the market.

I normally roast the sprouts, but tonight I decided to do something different.  I didn't get home from San Antonio until 7 so I wasn't in the mood to wait for roasting.  Instead, I made a sprout, white bean, garlic and whole wheat pasta dish.  It wasn't very fancy, but it was pretty delicious.

See you Saturday by the sprouts...

Brussels Sprouts and White Bean Pasta


olive oil
3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
2 cups Brussels Sprouts cut in half
1 can cannellini beans, rinsed
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup grated parmesan
red pepper flakes, to taste
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 package cooked whole wheat pasta

021209_1 Heat olive oil in a skillet.  Saute garlic and Brussels Sprouts for 4-5 minutes.  Add beans to the skillet and combine well.  Add the chicken broth and parmesan and stir well to combine.  Cook until the beans are heated through.  

Season with red pepper flakes (I added a lot, but you might just like a shake or two), salt and pepper to taste.    Toss with the pasta and serve.  If you are a big cheese person, you could hit it with another sprinkle or two of parmesan.