Wednesday, February 11, 2009

My Little Lamb Chop

A few weeks ago, I realized that I was in a protein rut at the farmers market - shrimp, buffalo and pork sausages.  While I love all those things, I was being quite boring.  I decided it was time to mix it up and bought lamb loin chops from Loncito's Lamb.

I decided to treat myself to a little fancier dinner than I normally make of lamb chops, mashed turnips and sauteed swiss chard.  It was a great way to spoil myself a little and the leftovers were delicious.

Broiled Lamb Loin Chops and Mashed Turnips

1 bunch of turnips, without the greens
4 tbsps butter or about 1/4 cup milk
salt and pepper, to taste

Do a rough chop on the turnips, place them in a pot and cover them with water.  (Like you would to make mashed potatoes.  I don't peel the turnips but you can if you want.)  Bring the turnips to a boil and boil until tender.  Mine took about 10 minutes.

Drain the turnips and then put back in the pan.  Add the butter or milk and mash the turnips.  You might want to add the butter or milk slowly so you don't over do it.  Salt and pepper to taste.  


4 lamb loin chops
olive oil
garlic, peeled and chopped
rosemary, chopped

Preaheat broiler when you start the turnips.  Drizzle olive oil on the lamb chops and rub with the garlic and rosemary.  

Place the lamb chops on the broiler and cook about 3-4 minutes, then turn them over and cook for another  3-4 minutes.  DON'T OVERCOOK THE LAMB CHOPS.  

Remove the lamb chops from the oven and let sit for 4-5 minutes before you serve.