My favorite of the three was a simple salad of Brussels Sprouts, fennel, dill, Parmesan, red onion and brown butter. We ordered it even though I don't usually enjoy fennel and it was amazing. The flavor was bright, rich and delicious.
I, arrogantly, decided I could make it or something close. And, it was close, but not the same.
My friend Paige kindly offered to host the pre-race meal for my first triathlon of this season and I decided to make this dish as the salad. Since you typically don't want to eat anything too rich before a race, I skipped the brown butter and used olive oil instead. It robbed the dish of some of the richness, but not the bright flavor.
We have a few more weeks of Brussels Sprouts season and I highly recommend you try your own rendition of this delightful salad. If you are braver than I, try it with the brown butter. It will be worth the calories!
Brussels Sprouts & Fennel Salad
1/2 lb Brussels Sprouts, cleaned and trimmed (cut off the ends)
1 bulb fennel
2-3 bulbs spring onions, how many you use depends on the size of the bulbs
2 tbsps butter
1/4 cup parmesan, shaved or grated
2 tbsps olive oil
juice of two lemons
2-3 sprigs of fresh dill, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
salt and pepper to taste
Thinly slice the Brussels Sprouts, fennel and onions. This processor is easier if you have a mandoline or a slicing blade for a food processor - using my Cuisinart, it took me 2 minutes.
In a skillet, melt the butter over medium-low heat and then gently brown it. You don't want to burn it, but you do want it to turn a slight brown color. Take the butter off of the heat.
In a skillet, melt the butter over medium-low heat and then gently brown it. You don't want to burn it, but you do want it to turn a slight brown color. Take the butter off of the heat.
Toss the sprouts, fennel, onions and parmesan well in a bowl. Add the olive oil, butter and lemon juice and toss. (I did this slowly - a little olive oil, a little lemon juice, toss and taste - until I got the flavor like I wanted it.) Add the dill, salt and pepper to taste.
