I paired it with spring onions and spinach, gave it a shot of lemon juice and skipped the Parmesan so that it had a bright flavor. If you want to have a richer flavor, skip the lemon juice and add Parmesan as you stir for the last few minutes.
Unfortunately, I didn't really think through that I was going to have to stir the risotto with sore post-triathlon arms, but, you know, anything for great food...
Shrimp & Spinach Risotto
1 lb shrimp, shelled and deveined
2 tbsps olive oil
2 tbsps garlic, peeled and minced
2-3 spring onions (depending on the size), thinly sliced
1 cup arborio rice
6 cups liquid (you can use water, chicken broth or seafood broth/stock - I used chicken broth because it is what we had, but in a perfect world I would have used seafood broth. Broth or stock is going to have a richer flavor.)
1 cup dry white wine
1 bunch of spinach, washed and chopped
1 tbsp lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
Heat the broth or stock in a pot on the stove.
In a pan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium. Add 1 tbsp garlic and shrimp. Saute until shrimp is cooked through and then set it to the side.
In a pot, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add 1 tbsp garlic and the spring onions. Saute until the begin to turn transparent. Add the arborio rice and stir in the pan until it is well coated. Add 1 cup of stock and turn continuously until it is absorbed. Continue to add liquid (alternate stock and wine) 1/2 cup at a time, stirring continuously until you have about 1/2 cup left to add. Add the spinach with the last of the liquid and stir until the last of the liquid is absorbed. Add the shrimp, lemon juice and season to taste.
