Sunday, April 5, 2009

Spring Fever Continues with a Spring Onion Omelette

Last weekend was such a beautiful spring weekend in Austin.  Of course, the trouble with that is it was hard to be motivated to stay inside and cook.  Of course, a girl has to eat so I did manage to squeeze in a few meals at home.

The Downtown Austin farmers market was particularly busy on Saturday.  I think the gorgeous weather makes people hungry.  There were a lot of great things to pick from including beautiful lettuce, strawberries, and even the first zucchini of the season from Acadian Farms.

040509_1I was particularly excited about the spring onions from Harvest Time Farm Stand.  They are so 
sweet and delicious that I wanted to make something that really showed off the flavor of the
 onions - I wanted to taste them.

Spring Onion Omelette
2 tbsps butter
2-3 spring onions (depending on the size) with the greens, chopped
3 eggs, scrambled

Parmesan cheese, grated
salt & pepper to taste

Melt a tbsp of butter in a skillet.  Add the onions and greens and saute until tender.  

In a separate skillet, melt the other tbsp of butter.  Add the eggs to the skillet.  


040509_2
Swirl the skillet while the eggs are cooking so that they don't stick. 
 When the eggs are almost cooked, 
add the spring onions, Parmesan, salt and pepper and fold the edge of the omelette over.  Cook for another 3-4 minutes to allow the ingredients to warm through.

Serve with a beautiful green salad.